Cool as a Cucumber



It's been pretty hot the past few days in New York City and I've been pausing longer in front of the fridge to catch some coolness. 

Truthfully the contents of the refrigerator were getting out of control from two shoots I did back to back last week and that was also making me pause. 

Among the bounty, I had a few cucumbers and some avocados which sounded like a great combination to me, especially after I read an easy recipe on food52.com, one of my favorite new sites for all things food. 

The idea of a cucumber and avocado soup became a minor obsession, so tonight I finally dragged it all out and starting blending. First I took the skin off 4 large cucumbers and cut them into big chunks and threw them into my new Ninja blender. Then I scooped out the insides of 2 large avocados and added that in and blended it up a little to give me some more room. Next I added in about half a bunch of watercress that I cut the ends off of, 8 scallions with the tops and bottoms cut off, a handful of fresh mint leaves, and then put in the juice from two lemons and a little bit of romaine lettuce to mellow it out. I blended it all up and tasted it and it honestly doesn't need a thing! It's smooth and creamy without being too creamy in consistency and I loved every cool bite of it. 

EASY AVOCADO AND CUCUMBER SOUP
4 large peeled Cucumbers 
2 large avocadoes
1/2 bunch of watercress (about 1 cup)
8 strands of scallions, white and green parts included
1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves
juice from 2 lemons

Put it all in a blender and blend until smooth and serve refreshingly, deliciously cold.

Comments

Popular Posts