Warm flavors for a cool fall day

It's a rainy and grey day in New York City and I wanted to brighten it up with some Mediterranean / Indian inspired flavor. I subscribed to Butcher Box this year and have a surplus of chicken legs in my freezer that came in my last box. I've never considered myself a picky eater, but then I remembered as a kid, I hated the smell and texture of fish, dark meat chicken on the bone and salami. I also hated hot dogs. "What kid hates hot dogs??"  I remember my Aunt Linda exclaiming at a Memorial Day party at their house. I guess instinctually hot dogs kind of grossed me out. Fortunately I've overcome these early biases and can enjoy most of these foods as an adult. Except the chicken on the bone, which still makes me uneasy and feeling like a savage...I digress.

I started to look around online for a recipe or inspiration for Keto or Paleo Chicken Legs and found this recipe for drumsticks.

It sounded really simple so I concocted my own spice base and gave it a go. It was delicious! Even if it was on the bone...

I served it with rainbow kale from Row by Row Farm I got at the Union Square Green Market on Saturday and I happened to have some pomegranate seeds and pistachios on hand and added those on top. I can't even describe this goodness. You'll have to try it yourself!


Easy Roasted Chicken Legs and Rainbow Chard 
Cook time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
5-6 chicken legs
2 Tbsp Coconut oil (divided)
1 Tbsp Garam Masala Spice Mix
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper
1/2 bunch of Rainbow Chard cut into ribbons
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 large onion chopped
1 tsp Sumac
1/4 cup chopped pistachios 
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds




Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. 

Place defrosted chicken legs in a medium bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add to the chicken to coat it evenly. Add in the spices and mix them into the chicken legs with your hands. Place them on the sheet pan and pop them into the oven. Cook for 20 minutes then turn them over and cook another 20 (or until the interior temperature reaches 165)

While the chicken is cooking, cube the onion and chop the garlic. Put the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a medium saute pan and once it's melted, add in the onion and garlic cooking them until they're soft but not carmelized. Tap in the teaspoon of Sumac and then add the chopped chard and cook until it's wilted. 

At this point my chicken was done and I did what any sane chef would do and I added the leftover juices and crunchy bits from the chicken into the chard. 

I plated the chard and piled the pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios on top and then added the roasted chicken. I think next time I'll add in some chopped preserved lemon for a little more brightness. 

To say that I enjoyed it would be limited. Words fail me, but a picture says it all....











Comments

Popular Posts